Join The Celebration!
From April 29th to May 06th 2017 Reading Town PEI will turn PEI into a Reading Island!
The week long festival works to inspire curiosity about the stories and storytellers that shape our community, to recognize the accomplishments of our artists, educators and literacy champions and to integrate reading into the everyday life of Islanders.
Reading Town PEI will be presenting an inspiring line up of affordable, diverse and fun signature events but we encourage the community to participate in the celebration!
Everyone is encouraged to get involved by organizing a “reading event” or activity and register the activity as part of our festival. Community activities can be public or private events. Our mission is to celebrate the reading lives of Islanders in its many manifestations!
Schools, classrooms, community groups, book clubs, sports teams, families and individuals etc. are encouraged to register.
The possibilities are endless! If you need help with ideas, you can find some at the bottom of the page.
Please remember to:
- Register your event or activity for a chance to win our registration contest by February 27th, 2017.
- Hold your event or activity during the week of April 29th – May 6th, 2017.
- Take photos during your event and email them to: email@example.com
Photos will be displayed on the Reading Town PEI website and social media accounts.
Register for a chance to win!
Your name will be entered into a draw for a chance to win an inspiring prize package full of local goodies. More details about the prize will be announced at our website in March – http://www.readingtownpei.com
Please note: We will only accept one entry per event/activity. Contest deadline is February 27th, 2017. Events can be still be registered after February 27th, but they will not be eligible for this contest.
The draw will be held on May 1st during the opening celebration.
Get Involved with Reading Town!
Here are some event/activity ideas for you and your group to organize. Remember to register your event by filling in the form above!
- Read a book and respond to it creatively, then share your results with us!
- Organize a Story Mob.
- Set a reading challenge for you and your friends
- Adopt a tiny library into your community
- Organize a walk and read by posting 6-8 pages of a short story around your community. Be sure to create a small map for each page so readers know where to begin and end the story.
- Launch a social media campaign – invite Islanders to post selfies reading their favorite book.
- Host Literacy and Reading morning at cafes. Invite everyone to bring something to read and have their morning coffee.
- Host a book swap .. like a clothing swap only with books!
- Have poems printed on the coffee sleeves, napkins or take out bags for your restaurant.
- Host a poetry reading or poetry slam event.
- Scribbler Skeletons – Adults reading from their childhood and/or teenage diaries. This is also put on by the Fringe Fest in Charlottetown.
- Catch and Release – gather books and put a sticker inside them that lets readers know that they can “catch” the book, read it and “release” for someone new to catch, read and release. Leave these books on the bus and in other public places.
- Challenge your book club to take on an interesting book and share the discussion on social media.
- Sponsor an author reading at your business and invite the public to attend